by Tess Challis
Just because you want to be healthy and fit doesn’t mean you should deny yourself the good eats! These pancakes are high in fiber, low in fat, and absolutely delicious.
Recipe from The Two-Week Wellness Solution
- 2 tablespoons ground flax (flaxseed meal)
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 cup vegan eggnog or nondairy milk
- 1/4 cup pureed squash or pumpkin
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon each: sea salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg
- Place the flaxseed in a medium bowl and stir with the boiling water. Allow it to sit undisturbed for 5 minutes so that it becomes gooey.
- Stir the eggnog and squash/pumpkin into the flegg mixture until well
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients, calmly ignoring the sad attempt at humor. Stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture until well combined, but do not over mix
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. If you don’t have a truly nonstick pan, you may need to spray or lightly coat the skillet with oil (coconut or non-virgin olive oil being the best choices).
- When the pan is hot, drop the batter onto it to form what could resemble a pancake. Do this again and again until you have several pancake-type formations on the skillet. When they are very bubbly on top and browned on the bottom, flip over and cook the other side. When both sides are nicely browned, remove to a plate. Repeat until all of the batter is gone. Serve hot, with a drizzle of pure maple syrup, applesauce, or agave.
About the Chef
Tess Challis is an author, vegan chef, wellness coach, and cooking instructor.
Tess began her holistic health journey in her late teens. After a lifetime of numerous health ailments (including severe acne, obesity, constant illnesses, anxiety, and depression), she found that a vegan diet along with an inner wellness regime made all the difference.
In 1994, Tess began to work as a personal chef across the country. In 2008, she shifted her focus to writing, coaching, speaking, and teaching healthy plant-based cooking. Her books include Radiant Health, Inner Wealth, The Two-Week Wellness Solution (foreword by Dr. Neal Barnard), Radiance 4 Life (foreword by Robert Cheeke) and Get Waisted: 100 Addictively Delicious Plant-Based Entrees (co-authored by Dr. Mary Wendt).
Tess’s greatest passion is helping others achieve radiant health and wellness – all while enjoying the most delicious foods on the planet! Tess resides in SW Colorado and Florida with her daughter, Alethea, Vegan Kid Chef.