Grilled Tempeh with BBQ Sauce
Serve these incredible sandwiches up during Superbowl Sunday and show your friends how fantastic vegan sandwiches can be. Quick and easy is the way we like it. Less time preparing, more time with our friends. This recipe from the popular vegan cookbook by VegWorld Magazine contributor and vegan chef/ author Mark Reinfeld.
Courtesy of The 30-Minute Vegan
- Two 8-ounce packages tempeh – cut into 4 cutlets
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 8 slices whole grain bread or other bread of choice
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 4 red onion slices
- 1 recipe BBQ Sauce (see below)
The BBQ Sauce
Makes 1 ½ cups
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons molasses or barley malt syrup, or 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon chile powder (try chipotle)
- 1 ½ teaspoons raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon Dijon or stone ground mustard
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the soy sauce, water and oil in a small dish and add the tempeh cutlets. Allow to marinate for 5 minutes, flipping a few times to evenly coat.
2. Place the tempeh and the marinade ingredients on a baking sheet and cook for 5 minutes. Flip, and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
3. While the tempeh is baking, prepare the BBQ sauce by combining all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisking well. Pour some sauce over the tempeh while it is baking.
4. When the tempeh is finished cooking, place the cutlet on the sandwich with the remaining ingredients and as much BBQ sauce as you wish. You can store the extra sauce in a glass container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days
- Replace the tempeh with an equal amount of tofu.
- For BBQ Sauce variations – replace the ketchup with tomato paste and ¼ cup water.
- Add 1 tablespoon of minced garlic or peeled and minced ginger to the tempeh marinade.
- Try serving on toasted sourdough, rye bread, or an artisan bread such as olive rosemary.
About the Author
VegWorld Magazine contributor Mark Reinfeld is the winner of Vegan.com’s Recipe of the Year Award for 2011 and has over 20 years experience preparing creative vegan and raw food cuisine. Mark was the Executive Chef for the North American Vegetarian Society’s 2012 Summerfest, one of the largest vegetarian conferences in the world.
Mark is described by VegCooking.com as being “poised on the leading edge of contemporary vegan cooking”. He is the founding chef of the Blossoming Lotus Restaurant, winner of Honolulu Advertiser’s ‘Ilima Award for “Best Restaurant on Kaua’i”. Mark is also the recipient of a Platinum Carrot Award for living foods – a national award given by the Aspen Center of Integral Health to America’s top “innovative and trailblazing healthy chefs.
Looking for more great videos and recipes from the award-winning vegan chef Mark Reinfeld? Check out “Cooking Healthy Lessons”, a fantastic online vegan cooking program with a huge selection of vegan recipes. Click here to find out more.